Monday, July 25, 2011

Hiking Lunches

Recently, we started getting more outdoorsy. What to do about food while away from home?

Focusing on one thing at a time, I set out to solve the question of lunches.  I call them Snak Paks (which my son pointed out I was infringing upon ConAgra Foods' Snack Pack® pudding trademark! I've taught him well!) If we eat breakfast together in the morning before we leave and we eat dinner together when we get home, that leaves the entire daytime on the trail so "lunch" isn't going to do it. We need more. (I try to set up a crockpot meal to be ready when we arrive home, which has been very late some trips)!

So here's what we do now...each person gets a gallon ziploc and I fill it up with:
-dried fruit, nuts, chocolate chips (gorp)
-peanut butter and jelly sandwich
-chips of choice (pringles/doritos) which taste REALLY good on the trail
-medifast diet bars (equal protein/carb, fills you up)
-fruit leather
-baby carrots
-cookies (sometimes)
-gummy bears
-granola bars
-I "collect" things for the snak pak drawer so when it's time to pack lunches, I have lots of variety

The idea is I pack a "snak pak" and each person can eat whenever they get munchy. We stop for an "official" lunch but sometimes the kids are into their food on the trip there or if they didn't each much during the day, they snack on the way home. Everyone seems satisfied and we come home with extra (which then go back in the box where I store snacks for the snak paks). I don't hear "I'm hungry" on these days and it gives me peace of mind knowing everyone is provided for. Fresh fruit is heavy so I don't do too much of that and I don't get crazy about having to be super healthy...it is fun to have some sweets on the trail and I've decided that's ok.

We drink water from water bottles for fluids.

So what do you all do for hiking meals?

3 comments:

  1. I've been researching "geocaching" and am planning a few searches for our family. This idea of a "snack pak" for each person is perfect for what I have in mind too. Thanks for the idea. :)
    Oney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle, Having the "snack packs" ready to go is a good idea.

    The kids and I usually put everything together the evening before so we can pack up in the morning and head out. So, this last week we had pretzels and chips, so one of the kids filled 5 ziploc bags of pretzels (I don't eat them - not GF) and 6 ziploc bags of chips. Then everyone would fill their bags with what was prepared out on the counter. It sounds like we do a lot of the same things. I make my own trail mix with a variety of our favorite nuts, raisins, sometimes dried fruit and always chocolate chips. We also do food bars and fruit leather as well. We do whatever veggies sound good when we are shopping (usually baby carrots or pea pods) and I have been taking along a ziploc bag of strawberries and one of cherries which is a treat in our home, especially the cherries since they are so expensive. We also do water bottles.

    I don't think ahead enough about dinner, so I'll have to keep the crock pot idea in mind. I LIKE THAT!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...