Thursday, November 15, 2012

Easy Chili and Cornbread

Super quick and easy chili and cornbread...the recipe was given to me by my friend Barbie who helped me see that I needed to actually cook for my family in the first place. That's what started this blog. I'm so grateful for her!

I make browned hamburger and put one pound ziplocs in the freezer when I can. Easy to add one pound ground hamburger to any recipe by pulling it out of the freezer. I like to use ground turkey in this recipe, though I use twice the amount of meat because turkey doesn't have the bulk/fat that the beef does, it is just more tender.

Phillip's Chili
1lb ground hamburger browned (I prefer more protein. I can add 2lbs turkey in addition because it shrinks, or another pound of hamburger for my carnivore family)
saute onion and garlic
3 cans black beans
3 cans pinto beans
1 can garbanzo
plus 1 can water
1 small can corn
30oz tomato sauce
1T coriander
1/4C chili powder
2t cumin
Bring to boil. Simmer 15 minutes. EAT!

Cornbread
I think I made the cornbread recipe on the back of the corn meal box but added a half cup of sour cream to make it more moist. I poured the batter half full into a large muffin tin. Add butter and honey. :)

UPDATE 01/12/2012: We are loving the cornbread (I did not add sour cream, it doesn't need it!) and I usually pour it into a 9x13 pan as the portions are too big in the muffin tin.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...