Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Back Story - First Post

I have a LONG history of being miserable in the kitchen. IF cooking happens, it usually involves a lot of cheese, meat and carbs. I've always struggled with this area in my life...all the domestic stuff...cooking, cleaning, planning. In the past, I've been a dismal failure at all three.

We recently started attending a parenting group on Tuesday nights. It was determined on Tuesday (the 11th) that I don't have any methods or systems in place for grocery shopping or cooking. (I had to take a brief test to bring this information to light!) And I was encouraged to spend some time each day on this issue in the coming weeks. This is what Lifestyle of Learning calls "self-education". Thanks Barbie!

It just so happens that last week, before this was uncovered, I acquired a new cookbook and I spent several hours with it OPEN.

Here's the story...

At our local library, when searching the stacks, one must walk past the COOKING section in order to reach the COMIC BOOK section. My kids love Garfield and Foxtrot! Since we found some inappropriate comics in the comic section, I no longer let them look alone-I now go with them when they browse the shelves. So on the way back from the comic book section, a cookbook JUMPED out at me and while still walking, I reached out my hand and snatched it off the shelf and checked it out. I DO NOT READ COOKBOOKS. I have NO interest in cooking. I HATE even the THOUGHT of cooking. But this cookbook came home with me.

And I read it.

And...I laughed!

The authors seemed to relate to my desperate plight (the desire to feed my kids nutritious, healthy, hearty meals without breaking the bank or shopping at specialty stores) all the while having THEM LIKE IT!

I got inspired!

I found some recipes that, well, hot dang, I just might try. And I did. Tonight.

John REALLY REALLY likes this recipe. It is the first one from this cookbook and it took me all day. It is CHILI and I was going to serve it tonight with cornbread. But it didn't finish cooking until 6:30pm and that didn't leave time to cook the cornbread and "everyone knows" that chili is best after it sits for at least a day. So we've had a few small bowls and if it gets better after 24 hours, watch out!

I MADE THIS!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...